This page provides access to document, videos and other content for members.
The AAQ maintains a cloud based document repository, which provides members access to newsletters and other important documents such as the Constitution, and the Guide for Use of Laser Pointers.
Whenever possible we record our meetings so that remote members or those who could not attend a particular meeting can also enjoy the event. Members can log on to this site to view the recordings.
Astrophotography is a popular activity amongst our members. Our membership includes experienced and knowledgeable astrophotography practitioners. Each year we hold a photography competition which encourages participation from beginning to accomplished members. Here is a sample of their images.
The Astronomical Association of Queensland maintains a library of books, magazines, audio-visual items and software on a wide range of astronomical topics for use by its members.
A selection of library items is available a each monthly ordinary general meeting for members to borrow. Please contact the librarian prior to the meeting to borrow a specific library item. Library items can also be posted to members unable to attend the meetings.
For the convenience of members, a list of suitable observing sites, along with information about amenities etc is being compiled. If you know of a suitable site, you can also submit details to the list.
The AAQ owns a number of telescopes and other equipment for member hire to meet a short term need, learn how to use a telescope or try out equipment prior to purchase.
Conditions of hire – please read
As you can imagine, the AAQ hire equipment is quite expensive and we have to keep a watchful eye on it. As a result, tehre are some conditions of hire that apply to all equipment. Special conditions apply to specific items.
- Hirers must be members of the AAQ for a period of 8 months before an application for hire can be submitted.
- Members need to have attended a couple of meetings in-person so we can make sure you are aware how the equipment is operated.
- After 8 months, members can apply to hire the manual telescopes.
- The Association has a 90mm SolarMax solar telesscope for hire. Applications for this telescope must be approved by the AAQ Council. We ask applicants to provide a description of how you plan to use the equipment in support of the request.
- The current hire fee for telescopes is $10 per month, with some or all of the hire costs to be paid upfront.
- Hirers will be required to complete an Equipment Hire Form, which outlines your responsibilities.
- Members should first contact the Equipment Hire Director who can advise you if or when the equipment is available, and provide other information such as how and where to collect the item. A form is available on the page showing the equipment details.